The Northern British Columbia Graduate Student Society (NBCGSS), represents almost 600 full-time and part-time graduate students. It was founded in 1997, less than a decade after UNBC was founded. The Graduate Council consists of:
Five Executive Members
- Vice President
- Director of Information Technology and Communications
- Director of Finance
- Director of Student Affairs
And ten Council Members
- 4 College of Science and Management (CSAM) Representatives
- 4 College of Arts, Social, and Health Sciences (CASHS) Representatives
- 1 International Representative
- 1 Sustainability Representative
- 1 Indigenous Peoples’ Representative
- 1 Regional Liaison
The purpose of NBCGSS is to advocate for graduate students at UNBC; facilitate communication between UNBC faculty, staff, administration, and graduate students; and offer services, supports, and activities to graduate students.
In March 2016, the NBCGSS membership voted in a referendum to join the British Columbia Federation of Students (BCFS). The BCFS provides a venue for students to effectively communicate, collaborate, organize, and mobilize to advocate collective interests locally, provincially, and nationally. The BCFS also provides services for individual members and member local students’ unions.