Did you Know?
- The latin name is Ursus arctos horribilus
- Average weight- 250 – 350 kg (male) and 125 – 175 kg (female)
- Life expectancy- 15 – 20 years
- The grizzly bear is the second largest land carnivore in North America.
- The grizzly bear has been known to run at speeds of 55 kilometres per hour
- The grizzly bear is not a true hibernator. In the winter its body temperature may drop a few degrees and its respiration may slow slightly, but it can remain active all winter
- It is considered a meat-eater, the grizzly bear is actually omnivorous, which means it eats both meat and vegetation
If you would like to experience a trip of a lifetime learning about grizzlies and viewing them in remote locations in northwest BC then check out our “Northwest BC Grizzly Bear Discovery Tour” June 6-10, 2017.