The UNBC Wellness Centre consists of a team of health care professionals who provide counselling, medical, nursing, health promotion and education services to all students of UNBC. The Wellness team is highly educated, trained and experienced in providing services to help students manage the challenges of university life. Our goal is to help students have a healthier and more positive post-secondary experience.
CONFIDENTIALITY: Client records are held in strict confidence within the UNBC Wellness Centre. Client information will not be released without written consent by the client. Exceptions will be made in a life threatening emergency, or as required by law or public health regulations.
- Personal Counselling: Counsellors provide a confidential and discrete atmosphere in which students can discuss any topic or situation of concern. The Centre is dedicated to helping students explore options and create solutions. The counsellors supervise and mentor bachelor and master’s level practicum counsellors who also provide therapeutic and other services. Each counsellor has a goal of supporting registered students to be healthy in both body and mind in order to accomplish their personal and professional goals.
- Group Counselling and Workshops: Throughout the academic year, supportive groups, training and workshops are offered. Please visit our website or Facebook page, or check with the receptionist for current information.
- Psychiatric Clinic: Psychiatric Clinics are offered one afternoon a week at the Prince George campus. The psychiatrist works in close partnership with the counsellors and will complete a full assessment and may provide ongoing support. Students must be referred by a physician. Please contact the UNBC Wellness Centre for more information.
- Health Services: Health Services helps students manage illness and health concerns, obtain information on relevant health and lifestyle topics, engage in health promotion, and manage healthy lifestyle changes during a student’s university experience. A physician, nurse practitioner, and clinical nurse see students year-round for prescription renewals, health assessment and treatment, sexual wellness (including STI testing and pap smears), tobacco cessation counselling, referrals, and health education. Flu shots are also available in the fall. For hours of operation call (250)960-6370 or stop by the office.
- Consultation: The UNBC Wellness Centre provides counselling services to UNBC registered students only. Consultation is provided to faculty, staff, students, family members and friends who may have general questions or concerns related to student well-being. In addition, consultation and support services are provided for dealing with “at risk” students.
- Community Services: The Wellness Centre provides services in partnership with a number of community agencies which includes for example groups, workshops and training, in-service, and crisis response. Information and referrals are available to link students, faculty and staff with resources and services available in the community. Contact the Centre for a detailed list.
- Regional Services: Regional campuses provide access to personal counselling through agreements with registered, professional counsellors. For further information regarding regional counselling services please contact the Wellness Centre Manager, Sarah Hanson @ (250) 960-6362.
Emergency and Crisis Response (Prince George Only):
CALL US: (250) 960-6369
Crisis situations are responded to immediately between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Crisis response is provided for all members of the UNBC community.
For personal crises occurring after hours, please contact:
Campus Security from any phone on campus at 3333 (for emergencies), or 250-960-7058 (non-emergency)
University Hospital of Northern British Columbia at 250-565-2000
The Prince George Crisis Line (24 hr service) at 250-563-1214