NBCGSS Health & Dental Plan
To help UNBC graduate students pay for the health services they need, the NBCGSS has partnered with Studentcare in order to provide students with extended health and dental coverage. The Plan is designed specifically to fill the gaps in provincial health care (the British Columbia Medical Services Plan) and other basic health-care programs.
All NBCGSS members registered in the Fall semester and paying NBCGSS fees are automatically covered by the NBCGSS Health & Dental Plan. This includes:
- Full-time and part-time students
- Internet-based students
- Eligible international students
Certain exceptions exist. Please check your student account to confirm if you have been charged the Plan fees.
The following students may be eligible to enroll themselves in the Plan:
- Regional campus graduate students
- New Winter semester graduate students
- Graduate students at UNBC who register after Nov. 30
Among other benefits, the Plan covers:
- Up to 80% for prescription drugs and prescription vaccinations
- 80% (up to $150 per policy year) for non-prescription vaccinations
- Up to $4,000 for health practitioners (psychologists, massage therapists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- Up to $350 in vision care (eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery)
- Up to $750 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- Travel health coverage (up to $5,000,000 per incident, 120 days per trip), trip cancellation and trip interruption in the event of a medical emergency
Visit www.studentcare.ca for complete details.
How Can I Save More?
You can further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Chiropractic, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Doctor, and Psychology Networks. You are covered for the insured portion regardless of the health professional you choose. By consulting a Network member, you will get additional coverage. For example, by visiting a Dental Network member, you will receive an additional 20% off dental services. Visit www.studentcare.ca for more information.
How Much Does It Cost?
The Plan fee for full-year coverage (Sept. 1, 2017 – Aug. 31, 2018) is $346.50. The cost of the Plan is part of your student fees.
Can I Change My Coverage?
If you are covered by another extended health and dental plan (e.g. a parent’s or spouse’s employee plan, not BC MSP), you can combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage and reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs.
Alternatively, if you have other equivalent coverage, you can opt out of the Plan during the Change-of-Coverage Period from Sept. 5 – 26, 2017 and receive a credit to your student account for the amount of the Plan. If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enrol yourself, your spouse, and/or your dependent children in the Plan. Only new Winter semester students can enrol themselves and their spouse and/or dependent children from Jan. 3 – 24, 2018 for coverage from Jan. 1 – Aug. 31, 2018.
Visit www.studentcare.ca for instructions.
Have More Questions?
Information is available online at www.studentcare.ca or by calling the Studentcare Member Services Centre at 1 866 358-4431, Mon. – Fri. from 9 am to 5 pm.
You can have detailed information about services and coverage by visiting the webpages attached on following links: